Saturday, September 29, 2012

Defend The Faith

 

It is time to speak up.

Defend the faith by Verna Davis, The Herald Bulletin

It was a hot Friday night in 1982, the last night of church camp for high schoolers and a lot of tired camp counselors. I was tired, a bit cranky, and more than ready to go home to my family.

The evening had progressed from loud Christian rock music and personal testimonies to in-your-face challenges to surrender all to Christ. All was going well till the camp dean, Bible in hand, took a deep breath, leaned into the microphone and said, “Listen! I tell you the truth, now, guys.” He raised his Bible, and instead of reading from it, he used it as a pointer. He jabbed the air, aiming at the faces of his rapt audience. “It says in Hebrews, ‘Remember your leaders. Consider the outcome of their lives and imitate them.’ ” Then he showed a 10-minute recruiting video for his Bible college alma mater!

When the film was over, he asked if anyone had anything else to say. I looked around, suddenly realizing I was the only adult there who had not gone to the aforementioned Bible college. I couldn’t get my feet to move. There was so much I wanted to say, but what if all the other counselors laughed at me? What if they decided they didn’t like me and wouldn’t ask me back? So, I said nothing. My silence has haunted me for 30 years.

Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment